Saturday, December 23, 2006

Finding the Christmas Spirit

Many people, including some of us, who has been in this kind of season for years now…have somehow (in a way) lost the Christmas spirit inside us. Maybe because Christmas truly belongs to the kiddies, and kiddies alone. Maybe because of the thought that it’s a season spending, emptying your wallet, that darn heavy traffic, those annoying beggars, trash collectors surprisingly becoming polite, and all those irritating stuff that comes along with it. Maybe some of us already converted to the Muslim faith or Iglesia ni Kristo, who really doesn’t have a Christmas spirit…not because they don’t believe in it, but because they’re just plain bastards.

I, myself, am trying very hard to find this Christmas spirit inside of me. I remember back in the day where I would spend my Christmas with orphaned kids, letting them feel that spending the eve of Christmas with them would mean that I have no family whatsoever as well. I had this huge heart for giving and sharing what I have especially for the less fortunate. But I believe this spirit slowly faded. I could blame Grand Theft Auto like most conservative American parents who find the game as a source of violence, prostitute beating, gay marriage & reckless driving. I could blame the Harry Potter books, who many people consider as a “Kiddies guide to Devil Worship”. Or I could just blame the corporate world, which is full of people who actually are wolves in sheep’s clothing, idiots in a boss’ suit, backstabbers, leeches, Tupperware smiles, and people who would just see at you as a stepping stone to their own success.

Yeah, the world can be an ugly place. Just look at MySpace.

Then it came to me as a surprise. Even though this world could be a very filthy place to live in, miracles still do happen.

As I was grimacing through the slow moving traffic in Mindanao avenue, I saw a swerving car at my rear view mirror. It was a 1993 Nissan Sentra with a shade of gray on the exterior. You would think he was rushing someone to the hospital or a person who’s about to shit himself. Whatever the reason maybe, he started honking and snaking his way through the slow moving vehicles. I then realized that he has no emergency passenger and he doesn’t look like a person suffering from diarrhea, he was just being an asshole.

Come to think of it, I (not him) should have the authority to be a jerk! I have a DOTC license and a mission order. I could even act as an avaricious male wench in the street and the MMDA traffic cops would even salute me when I say “I’m on the job” as an excuse. But I’m not acting like that at all. I am not a self-serving reprobate… I actually despise those type of people. Heh. So I immediately turned my truck sideways, blocking any available path for him. As expected, he was blasting his horn repeatedly, so I turned the volume of Bon Jovi up on my stereo (Bon Jovi? WTF?). and acted as if nothing really happened. The Nissan guy somehow twisted to the side, this time he was harassing a small Kia Pride with a frail lady driver on the helm. She panicked and moved further to the right and gave way to the jerk. The guy was now side and side of me. Actually, it doesn’t matter to me at all I’m ready to smash him with my SUV. He “manually” rolled his window down and gave a finger at me…along with a snarling face that resembles a drooling pitbull. I acted very innocent, asking him what’s with all the fuzz. He gave me one nasty curse, “manually” rolled his window up and went through his usual routine.

Man…that was one guy who doesn’t have any spirit of sharing at all! And I even went down to his level!

After feeling sorry for myself, I made a turn into Project 6 because I was planning to go to SM North that day. Yes…the most populated place of them all. But I have no choice, I was stricken with so little time on my puny hands. As I made the shortcut and went through the usual “SM City heavy traffic” going to the carpark building, I suddenly felt a weird feeling of dread. I looked around me, looks pretty normal. I then glanced at the rear view mirror…oh my, that freaking degenerate on a gray Nissan sentra is there, just a couple of cars back. I not only realized that we are both headed to the same destination, but he’s also a total idiot! There he was a while ago…swerving selfishly through traffic but totally clueless of any alternative route whatsoever. And there I was, two cars infront of him. Boy, he must be pissed! So I then released all the bad feelings inside of me and gave a nasty finger back at him. Merry Christmas you moron!

That guy quickly reacted. He immediately swerved the car on his right, trying to pry through the “bumber to bumper situation” whatever it takes. There was a loud release of horns from the back, that guy is creating quite a stir there. But as soon as I grabbed my parking ticket, that guy was surprisingly at my side already. I must have underestimated him.

For those who knew the SM North carpark, it goes up with two lanes in circular motion. I happen to be in the inner lane, so advantage is on me. But I happen to drive a huge truck (SUV) which is quite difficult to maneuver…so it’s all even. The race went on. His gleaming eyes, which I believe starts to get red, was poking through my tinted window. I could feel his rage…I think it’s the only thing he’s got inside of him. The race went through the second floor and I decided to go straight to it. As expected, the lot was full…so I squinted my eyes to the narrow road…trying to find an available spot as he was slowly gaining in on me.

I again remembered that this guy is also an idiot, so I have to bring out my final trick. It’s now or never.

As we passed through vehicles, some car alarms even went on, that’s how fast we were. A poor guy in a car cleaner outfit dives away to get cover. I stepped the gas further but my vision slowed down. Everything seems to be in a soft, slow blur. It was like in the movie “Matrix”. I was in the zone dude! Midnight Club DUB my ass! I grabbed the wheel tightly and made a sharp left turn, as if getting away from the race. The fool didn’t see it coming, so we went straight ahead then finally stepped hard on the brakes…missing the sharp left.

“Too late dude” I told myself, for I just made the last turn in that floor. While he was still dumbfounded, cars start to pile up on his back. He realized that he was already in a line going the exit booth. He went out of his vehicle, stepped on the his hood, and gave a yell of frustration. And pulled down my “power” window, smiled widely and greeted him a warm “Merry Christmas”.

Yeah, I think the spirit is coming in to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home